Mission and Philosophy
The mission of the Philosophy Day School is to provide a rigorous classical education incorporating knowledge and approaches to life from Eastern and Western civilizations.
We help students develop honesty, integrity, character and a life-long love for the pursuit of wisdom as a foundation for a happy, successful and generous life.
The school serves students in Nursery through Grade 5.
We believe that:
- Each child has a deep potential for learning
- Learning should be a truly positive experience
- The character development of the child is essential in the learning process
- The ability to focus is a valuable learning tool for life
- The development of highly effective communication and critical thinking skills is vital
We believe in educating the “whole child” – his or her intellect, body and spirit. Our curriculum values academics, arts and athletics. We provide an integrated curriculum with teachers who encourage students to make connections not only between subject areas but also between subjects and themselves and their fellow students. Thus, we create many opportunities for the students to interact with, and master, the curriculum.
We believe that children learn best in a structured, unpressured environment. Our physical surroundings enhance the sense of intimacy, beauty and light. Our school day is built around a schedule with an opportunity to reflect between activities. We have a dress code. We use a formal system of address between students and teachers.
We believe that children learn to enjoy learning when they are members of a caring and safe community. Thus, our teachers model personal values, good manners and social skills that develop a sense of self, a respect for others, a commitment to community and a belief in a Divine Spirit. Our students take responsibility for areas of the classroom and parts of the daily schedule. We create an atmosphere that values each individual’s thinking and effort so that students do not shy away from taking risks or doing their best.
In today’s ever-changing and global community, it is not enough for our students to be competent in a defined body of knowledge. Through their experiences at PDS, we encourage students in the development of:
- A love of knowledge
- A commitment to a life-long pursuit of learning
- An understanding of how they learn so education becomes an effective, self-directed endeavor
- Strategies to focus their energies, to organize and to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- A values-based approach to their lives
- A sensitivity to and appreciation of others
- An appreciation of the spiritual nature of life.